Amazon has launched more than a dozen of Kindle models with different features and functionalities. Kindle devices are superior to its competitors in every aspect, let it be the design, the features, the ability to store items on the device and battery backup. Any new feature that is launched into the market could be seen in the Kindle devices before it appears on any other eReader. Every year, Amazon unveils a new Kindle model with a highly elegant look and advanced features. But, this doesn’t mean that the company forgets its previous models. Amazon is well-aware of the fact that the Kindle survival depends upon the updates, which is the reason that the company comes out with updates every quarter or semi-yearly basis. With the updates, the users stay attached to their Kindles and the company creates a channel to deliver new features to their existing users. The Amazon Kindle update is extremely important because the security of the Kindle depends on it.
Advantages of updating your Kindle?
A fully updated Kindle is going to perform much better than before. An updated software version is going to have all the new features, which can make the reading experience for the Kindle users a lot better. Amazon has launched various updates of all the Kindle devices that are present in the market for a long time. The eBooks, which were not present in the Kindle library or couldn’t be downloaded straightforwardly will be accessible by updating Kindle device to the newer version. So, the advantages are certainly there.
History of Kindle Updates
Kindle updates started soon after the launch of the very first Kindle device. But, when the company started launching new and new models, the speed and the quantity of Kindle updates was also increased. Kindle updates are available for the three most popular Kindles, i.e., Kindle, Kindle Fire and Kindle Paperwhite.
- Kindle 3rd Generation with keyboard: Launched in 2010 and updated several times. Current software version is 3.4.2 or higher.
- Kindle 4th Generation: Launched in 2011 and has received multiple updates so far. Current software version is 4.1.3, which can be downloaded from here.
- Kindle 5th Generation: Launched in 2012 and is running on 4.1.3.
- Kindle Touch 4th Generation: Launched in 2011 and has been updated multiple times. Current software version is 188.8.131.52 or higher.
- Kindle Paperwhite 5th Generation: Launched in 2012 and has been updated a number of times. Current software version is 184.108.40.206.
- Kindle Paperwhite 6th Generation: Launched in 2013 and has undergone multiple updates so far. The current software version of the device is 220.127.116.11. Click here to get Kindle Paperwhite update.
- Kindle Fire has also undergone various updates since the year it was launched into the market. The current software version is 5.3.1. You can download Kindle Fire update from this link, or you can get it by clicking here as well.
How to easily update your Kindle?
Amazon always notifies Kindle users that there has been a new update that they have to download and install on their Kindle device. Yet, many people fail to download the update. It is important for Kindle users to get Kindle update because there are many benefits of using an updated device. You require two things to install the update on your Kindle, these are; a PC/laptop and a USB cable.
Here is the process to update your Kindle
- Determine your Kindle device, as to which model you are using. Take the help of the official site in order to find out the correct model of the device.
- Determine the firmware. This can be checked by going into the ‘settings’ menu and then, click on ‘Device info’.
- Download the update files from the above-mentioned links and transfer the files to your Kindle via a USB cable.
- Install one update at a time to avoid any issue later on.
- After the transfer of the update files, go to ‘settings’ menu again and tap ‘Update my Kindle’. You will see the progress bar on your screen. Your Kindle screen will also flicker a few times, but there is nothing to worry.
- You can update Kindle Fire, Kindle (standard version) and Kindle Paperwhite in this way.
Amazon has also launched a Kindle app for those who don’t have a Kindle, but want to access the features of the device and the most amazing Kindle platform. To download Kindle app, a smart device needs to be there.
Here is the process of how to download Kindle app on the smart device, which could be a smartphone or a tablet.
- Browse Amazon.com and search ‘Kindle app’ on the website.
- You will see an option to fill a phone number and a ‘download’ option on the page. You have to add your phone number in order to get the download link for the app.
- You can also click on the ‘Kindle download’ option, if you are using the same phone or tablet on which you want to install the app.
- Install the app and sign in with your Amazon account. If you don’t have an account, then create one.